Kent and I had the great good fortune to spend a week in Australia. First we went to Cairns and spent two days and one night on a dive boat. We didn’t actually dive; we snorkeled on the Great Barrier Reef. It was mind-blowingly amazing. If you ever get the chance, do it. I can recommend Cairns Dive Centre as a good operator.
Next we went to Sydney. Since Quantas doesn’t allow knitting on their planes, I didn’t get any real knitting done until Sydney. One evening there I knit the heel flap and turned the heel. Then I made the mistake of also trying to pick up the gusset stitches. Take my advice and don’t begin this in the wee hours of the morning. When I was done, it looked good, but the working yarn wasn’t where I needed it.
The next day I was so eager to get back to the hotel to work on them, but that wasn’t meant to be. I didn’t get back to them until yesterday, three weeks later.
I also indulged in a bit of sock yarn…
The first two were pretty self-explanatory, but the latter is Araucania sock yarn from Chile
colorway: Ranco multy. Yum!
I also bought two pairs of KnitPicks needles. They are lovely. Unfortunately, I should have checked my needle list in Ravelry. I bought the wrong size!
As I mentioned above, I’m finally back to working on my socks. After ripping back twice and ending in the same predicament, I got smart and just moved the socks around on the needles until they were the way they were supposed to be (back on socks on one needle, insteps on the other) instead of half of instep and sole on each needle. I may actually be a row off, but I think in the end it won’t matter– at least not to me.
Most of the gussets look okay. I picked up the extra stitches at the gusset turn and it work most of the time. Only one doesn’t look so good. I redid it a few times, but the fabric isn’t dense enough there. It isn’t a huge problem, but I’m glad these socks aren’t meant as gifts.