I’m back from Minnesota and back on GMT+8 just in time to return to work tomorrow. I’ve actually managed to do some knitting over the holiday.
First, I finished the Morehouse head warmer. It was too funny for words. I looked like a blue worm in it. It was promptly frogged and a bit of the yarn became a door knob warmer for my parents’ house. It is getting far more use in that format that it would have seen as a head warmer.
Next I gave Dad his scarf. He isn’t wearing it. Bummer. I thought it was really pretty. I wish I could take it back and give it to someone who would wear it.
A quick stop to BeYaGi in Little Canada, Minnesota had me stocked with square needles for my friends here in Singapore to try out, and a pattern and ball of Sockotta to be turned into little hats for premature babies to wear. We are knitting them for the premature babies at United Hospital in St. Paul, Minnesota to wear.
The first pattern made too big a hat for a premmie so my mom’s bear is now wearing it. Since then, I switched to a pattern you can find here: www.k3tog.typepad.com
which has worked much better.
However, using the same sized needles (US #2), the same yarn (Sockotta) and the same number of stitches (CO 64) look at how different the sizes are!
I guess my gauge is all wonky again. Good thing premmies come in many sizes. I think I can get at least one more hat out of this skein.
My copy of Knitting Circles Around Socks by Antje Gillingham arrived while I was home. I love it. The directions are really clear and it has good photos.
On the flight to the US I had figured out how to actually knit two top-down socks and once, but I only had one skein of yarn. I was pulling from inside and outside and it kept turning into a tangled mess, so I gave up on it then. Now I am using two skeins of Cascade 220 and it is going well. On the flight to Singapore I turned the heels but wanted to wait until eyes were less tired and light was better before picking up the gusset stitches.
Well, when I finally made time to pick up those stitches, I turned to the next page of directions and found that after turning the first heel, I was supposed to pick up the first edge of gusset stitches before turning the other heel. I wasted more than an hour trying to make it work, and then finally gave up, ripped out past the heel turn, and did it correctly.
At that point I thought I was home free, but I wasn’t. I could not get my brain around how to pick up the last two edges of gusset. I read, reread, and dearly wished for a photo of that step. Finally I sorted out what the directions were saying. It was a bit akward, but it worked and now I’m working on the gusset decreases. Next time it will be easy now that I have my brain around it.
I am loving knitting both socks at once. It feeds a portion of myself that likes to be productive. Of course, it helps that I’m using such a heavy yarn. With sock yarn this would be a much slower project and more difficult to see.
I like many of the patterns in this book. Next I’ll try “Anne’s Magic Stripe Sock” from this same book. I’ll knit my next sock from the lovely sock yarn Louise brought us.
She hand-dyed it using Kool-Aid and I’m eager to try it. After knitting that, hopefully I’ll be skilled enough to start knitting socks for Kent! Too bad he won’t want socks out of these fun yarns.